Orlando Pirates are the only team out of the ‘big three’ who will not be seeded for today’s Telkom Knockout draw.
The draw for the annual Telkom Knockout competition will be conducted today, October 16, with the Premier Soccer League since confirming the procedure of the draw.
In a press release, the PSL stated that all of the teams which finished off in the top eight of the Absa Premiership league standings last season (2016/17) will be seeded, which means that these teams will not be drawn against each other in the round of 16.
The likes of Bidvest Wits, Mamelodi Sundowns, Cape Town City and Kaizer Chiefs will all be seeded, with Pirates the only team out of Mzansi’s ‘big three’ to not be seeded, after the Soweto giants finished off last season at 11th place on the Absa Premiership league standings.
Here is how the draw procedure will be conducted according to the PSL.
“The Draw Procedure:
– Three bowls will be used for the draw (labelled: Pot A, B, C)
– The first bowl (Pot A) will contain the seeded eight clubs – (clubs that finished inside the top eight during the 2017/18 season)
– The second bowl (Pot C) will contain the names of the other eight clubs.
– The third bowl (Pot B) will be empty – to be used to determine home and away
How it will work:
1. We draw a ball from the seeded bowl (Pot A) and place it in the empty bowl (Pot B) without opening it
2. We draw a ball from the unseeded bowl (Pot C) and place it in the empty bowl (Pot B) without opening it
3. We then draw go to Pot B and draw the first ball for home, the second ball for away.”