Bobby Motaung has been under the spotlight as Chiefs manager over the years. A lot of fans are not happy with him as Chiefs manager as they claim the team is not performing well because they don’t have quality players who are capable of winning trophies. Some fans are asking for Bobby to resign while some are asking for him to manage the team in the best way. Let us look at the questionable decisions done by Bobby Motaung as Chiefs manager:
- Letting Mandla Masango and Tefu Mashamaite go. How on earth do you allow your footballer of the year to leave the team immediately due to the fact that you cannot meet his financial demands? Tefu is one of the best defenders in the PSL and for Bobby to let him leave was a worse decision by a team manager especially when you are looking at adding more trophies to the team. Tefu Mashamaite is now back in the country with Supersport United. Mandla Masango as well, his financial demands were not met, so he left for smaller European teams. Fans are saying that a team manager must be able to replace a top player leaving the team, but Bobby failed to do so.
- The departure of Stuart Baxter. The English man won trophies with Chiefs and he was ready to be part of the team only if he would be provided the opportunity to bring his own players that he would be able to work with. Instead, he was not allowed to have a say in the signing of players and also he had no say about top players leaving. That is one of the reason he left Chiefs. He won trophies without depth in the team and he was under a lot of pressure. Again the same as Tefu Mashamaite, Baxter is back in the country now and coaching Supersport United after a short spell in Turkey.
- Expensive unnecessary players. Bobby managed to bring expensive players at Chiefs but they never showed their value to the team. Players like Morgan Gould, Siyanda Xulu and the extension of Siboniso Gaxa’s contract which was later terminated without Gaxa’s consent. Bobby is a bad decision making manager of all time, who can explain these signings?
- Signing of free players. Instead of spending on the team’s top targets, bobby waits for those free players who have been released by their teams. How can they perform at Chiefs while they failed to perform at the teams that released them? Only Booby can answer these questions.
- Unplanned overhauling of the team. The team released a lot of players citing that those players were not good enough to deliver at Chiefs. They brought in a new bunch of players. Was Steve Komphela involved on who to be released and who to be signed? The answer is simple, no Steve was not involved, and he was just being informed of the new players coming in and the players leaving. If he was involved, he would have opted for top quality players that were available. Instead bobby went on to get free players and again went to Zimbabwe to buy cheap unexperienced players. In overhauling of every team, the technical team is responsible for that task, not the team manager.