Zesco United Football Club is the football team that plays in the Zambian Super League. The team is campaigning in the 2016 CAF Champions League after winning the 2015 Super League. The team is currently in the top 5 position in their domestic league as they are behind schedule by 6 games due to their participation in the CAF Champions League. Zesco qualified for the semifinals of the competition for the first time and are willing to go all the way to win the championship for the first time. Let us look at how the team managed to reach the semifinals.
Zesco’s danger men are Jesse Were and Mbombo. Were is the leading goal scorer in the Zambian Supper League with 12plus goals. Mbombo is their leading goal scorer in the Champions League with 5 goals.
Zesco’s road to the semifinals of the CAF Champions League:
- They finished at the top of the Zambian Super League in 2015, which qualified them to the preliminary rounds of the Champions League.
- In the preliminary round, Zesco met Stade Malien B and managed to beat them to go to qualify for the group stages.
- They were grouped with Asec Mimosa, Al Ahly, and Waydad Casablanca.
- They managed to beat Asec Mimosa 3 – 1 the first game and drew the second by 1 all.
- Zesco also won against Al Ahly in their first group game by 3 – 2 and went on to play a 2 all draw in their second meeting.
- Zesco suffered their only loss in their group campaign against Waydad Casablanca by 2 goals to zero and went on to play a 1 all draw in their second meeting.
- Zesco finished second in their group which earned them a semifinal spot with Sundowns, the winners of the other group. The team on top of Zesco’s group is Waydad Casablanca who will meet Zamalek who came second to Sundowns in their group.
- Zesco United has managed to score 15 goals in their campaign leading to the semifinals. They conceded 11 goals.
Analysis of the Zesco United Football Club
Zesco United qualified for the CAF Champions League Semifinals with one of the greatest performances ever from their side in the competition. They managed to score goals which helped them collect points to stay clear of opponents in their group stage campaign.
Zesco’s problem is conceding a lot of goals. Looking in to their campaign leading to the semifinals, Zesco conceded in every game they played. Conceding in every game is not a positive for the team. They should be able to at least not concede in the semifinals if they are to reach the finals. The team they are facing in the semifinals is very dangerous and can score as many goals as possible.
Zesco’s previous CAF Competitions participation
In 2008 they were knocked out in the last 32.
In 2009 they were knocked out in the group stages.
In 2011 they were knocked out in the last 16.
In 2015 they were knocked out in the last 32.
In 2006 they were knocked out in the last 32.
In 2010 they were knocked out in the first round.
In 2013 they were knocked out in the last 16.
2016 CAF Champions League Campaign
09 April 2016 – Stade Malien B 1 Zesco United 3
19 April 2016 – Zesco United 2 Stade Malien B 1
18 June 2016 – Zesco United 3 Al Ahly 2
30 June 2016 – Wydad Casablanca 2 Zesco United 0
16 July 2016 – Zesco United 3 Asec Mimosa 1
27 July 2016 – Asec Mimosa 1 Zesco United 1
12 August 2016 – Al Ahly 2 Zesco United 2
24 August 2016 – Zesco United 1 Wydad Casablanca 1
CAF Champions League Semifinal
Friday 16 September 2016 – Zesco United vs Mamelodi Sundowns
Friday 23 September 2016 – Mamelodi Sundowns vs Zesco United