The South African Football Association (SAFA) has announced the football teams that are going to take part in the Olympic Games in Rio De Janeiro, Brazil. The teams will be participating for medals as per Olympic rules. The winners of the tournaments will win Gold Medals, the second best teams will get Silver Medals, and the third best teams will receive Bronze Medals.
The Football teams that are going to represent Team South Africa are the women’s national football team Banyana Banyana and the men’s under 23 side. These teams are going to Brazil after qualifying through CAF qualification tournaments that were played. It was not easy for these teams to qualify as they encountered a lot of difficult teams in their qualifications.
Both teams have announced the players who will be participating in the Olympic Games in Brazil in August 2016 which is next month. The Rio Olympic Games are starting on the 3rd August 2016. The Olympic Games are the second greatest sporting events after the FIFA World Cup which is a universal football tournament.
These teams are a hope for South Africans as they will be representing all citizens of the beautiful country. They will be supported by 50 million South Africans and other African countries who adores them. The teams selected are as follows:
BANYANA BANYANA SQUAD (JERSEY NUMBERS AND NAMES)
- Roxanne Kimberly Barker, 16. Andile Dlamini
- Nothando Vilakazi, 5. Janine Van Wyk, 4. Noko Matlou, 13. Bambanani Mbane, 17. Leandra Smeda
- Mamello Makhabane, 9. Amanda Dlamini, 15. Refiloe Jane, 18. Nompumelelo Nyandeni, 10. Linda Motlhalo, 7. Stephanie Malherbe, 8. Robyn Moodaly
- Lebohang Ramalepe, 14. Sanah Mollo, 11. Shiwe Nogwanya, 12. Jermaine Seoposenwe
- Kaylin Swart (GOALKEEPER), 19. Nomathemba Ntsibande (DEFENDER), 20. Thembi Kgatlana (MIDFIELDER), 21. Chantelle Esau (STRIKER)
THE MENS UNDER 23 SQUAD (JERSEY NUMBERS AND NAMES)
- Jody FEBRUARY Ajax Cape Town FC (SA), 2. Itumeleng KHUNE Kaizer Chiefs FC (SA)
- Kwandakwensizwa Mngonyama, Maritzburg United FC (SA), 4.Rivaldo Coetzee, Ajax Cape Town FC (SA), 5. Abbubaker Mobara, Orlando Pirates FC (SA), 6. Mothobi Mvala, Highlands Park FC (SA), 7. Erick Mathoho, Kaizer Chiefs FC (SA), 8.Tebogo Moerane, Bidvest Wits FC (SA), 9. Tercious Malepe, Orlando Pirates FC (SA)
- Gift Motupa, Orlando Pirates FC (SA), 11. Maphosa Modiba, Mpumalanga Black Aces FC, (SA), 12. Deolin Mekoa, Maritzburg United FC (SA), 13. Keagan Dolly, Mamelodi Sundowns (SA), 14. Phumlani Ntshangase, Bidvest Wits FC (SA)
- Menzi Masuku, Chippa United FC (SA), 16. Tashreeq Morris, Ajax Cape Town FC (SA), 17. Lebogang Mothiba, Lille F.C (France), 18. Tyroane Sandows, Gremio FC (Brazil)
- Nkosingiphile Gumede, Golden Arrows FC (SA), 2. Andile Fikizolo, Golden Arrows FC (SA), 3. Thapelo Morena, Bloemfontein Celtics FC (SA), 4. Thabiso Kutumela, Orlando Pirates FC (SA)
As South Africans, we are very proud of our teams which will be part of Team SA in the Rio Olympic Games. We will be cheering them each and every day of their participation. We love our country and we believe the team selected to represent the country for the Olympic Games will do us proud and bring the medals home and also fly our flag high.